250g softened butter
1 Tbsp each orange & lemon zest
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 cups SR flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
Candied Citrus Slices
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup water
1 medium orange sliced thinly
1 lime or lemon sliced thinly
2 cups (320g) soft icing sugar
1/4 cup (60ml) boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees (140 fan forced.) Line a 22cm cake tin.
2. Beat butter, rinds and sugar till light & fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beat till just combined.
3. Fold in sifted flours & juices in two batches. Pour into cake tin.
4. Bake for about 1hr 10mins. Stand 10mins in tin before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile, combine sugar & water in a large frying pan. Stir over low heat without boiling until sugar dissolves. Add citrus slices & bring to boil. Reduce heat to very low & simmer for 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from heat & cool on a wire rack.
6. Icing: Sift icing sugar into a bowl & add boiling water. Drizzle cake with icing and top with citrus slices.